The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met for a special board meeting on Wednesday, July 29, 2020, where the Board approved a modified sports schedule for the 2020-21 school year. For the new schedule, click here.
1. The Board approved a recommendation to update the terms of its contract with GoFan, the official digital ticket provider of the IHSA.
1. The Board discussed the implementation of reinstating member school dues for the 2020-21 school year with the expectation that State Series revenue will be significantly reduced. Member schools unanimously supported this possibility in a survey in May. The Board expects to take action on this topic in August.
2. The Board discussed creating a by-law exemption that could allow for non-school team participation during the 2020-21 school year. The Board expects to take action on this topic in August.
3. The Board discussed if schools on remote learning can participate in IHSA sports and activities. The IHSA has no by-laws preventing this, and there was no Board proposal to act on enacting any limitations. Participation will remain a local school and district decision, regardless of the learning plan.
4. The Board discussed a proposal from Edwardsville High School regarding the Weekly Eligibility Requirement in the fall of 2020.
5. The Board discussed transfer eligibility for the 2020-21 related to students who play out-of-state in a sport, and then return to Illinois and seek to participate in the same sport. The Board did not create any special restrictions for this scenario and instructed the Executive Director to follow the transfer eligibility by-laws.
6. The Board discussed the current and past position of the association to follow NFHS playing rules for all sports. The board was made aware of the recent initiative by basketball coaches in the state to add a shot clock to the sport. IHSA staff will be meeting with this group of coaches and share the options available to them to have this initiative considered.
7. The Board discussed the request to end a Boys Soccer Coop between two member schools and pursue other cooperative team options.