The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) is a proud member of the National Association of Sports Public Address Announcers (NASPAA
) and promotes its value to its membership, which includes the IHSA.
The IHSA promotes the NASPAA's Code of Conduct and its ten expectations for use at all IHSA events:
1. Announcers shall understand that their role is to provide pertinent information in a timely manner and to do so professionally and not attempt to be bigger than the game or event by doing play-by-play or by providing commentary in an effort to entertain or to draw attention to himself or herself.
2. Announcers shall understand that because they have a tremendous influence on the crowd and that cheerleading or antics designed to incite the crowd for the purpose of gaining an advantage for their team is inappropriate.
3. Announcers shall promote good sportsmanship and a positive environment by what they say and how they act.
4. Announcers shall treat the opponents and their fans as guests, not the enemy.
5. Announcers shall respect the individuals who are responsible for the conduct and administration of athletic games and events, such as coaches, officials and administrators, and avoid making any comments that reflect positively or negatively on them.
6. Announcers shall respect the participants of all teams and remain neutral when introducing the starting participants, announcing substitutions and the outcome of plays or performances of the participants.
7. Announcers shall be competent. This means following approved announcing guidelines, expectations and policies, such as emergency procedures, provided by the administration or the host facility.
8. Announcers shall be prepared, such as being familiar with the correct pronunciations of the participants’ names, knowing the rules of the sport, the officials’ signals and how the game is played.
9. Announcers shall exhibit professional behavior and represent their school, organization or association with respect and dignity at all times by what they say, how they act and how they appear.
10. Announcers shall avoid using alcohol and tobacco products at the venue.