Regular Season & State Series Credentials
The IHSA office does not issue media credentials for regular-season or State Series (Regional, Sectional, Super-Sectional) events prior to the State Final round. Media members interested in covering regular-season or State Series events prior to the State Final round should reach out to the school hosting the event to find out that school’s local media credential protocol. During State Series events, the tournament manager/host for each round and site can be found in the State Series Information & Results link located in the upper lefthand corner of each individual sport’s webpage.
State Final Credentials
The IHSA office issues all media credentials for State Final events. Please see the various categories below to see how you should obtain State Final media credentials. Event-specific coverage information for each State Final can then be found on the State Final Instruction page.
- General Media Credentials – IHSA General Media Credentials are sent to various media outlets who generally cover three or more State Final events per school year each August. The General Media Credentials are good for access into all IHSA State Final events with the exception of Boys Basketball.
- Single-Event Credentials – Media outlets who do not have IHSA General Media Credential can apply for Single-Event State Final Credentials by emailing Matt Troha (firstname.lastname@example.org) with their name, media outlet, names of the individuals who will be attending the state final event and whether those individuals will be reporters, photographers, both, other, etc. The deadline for Single-Event Credentials is Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. After applying, your outlet will receive a confirmation email with logistical information for the event.
- Broadcasters – Media outlets who are broadcasting state finals must submit an IHSA Broadcast Application and receive credentials as a part of their application.
- Student Media – The IHSA issues a select number of student media credentials for qualifying schools in all team sports. The school Athletic Director or program supervisor must submit the credential application based on the terms outlined in the Student Media Credential Information.
- Boys Basketball – Due to the number of credential requests garnered for boys basketball, the IHSA utilizes an online credentialing system for boys basketball. Media members will receive more information during the school year on applying online.
- Activities – Credentials are not required for media members to cover Activity State Finals (i.e. Chess, Debate, Drama, Speech, etc.), but media are asked to check-in with tournament personnel upon arrival for instructions/restrictions.