The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors voted to elect Anna (A.-Jonesboro) principal Jim Woodward (right) as the IHSA Board President at its regularly scheduled Board meeting on Tuesday, October 11, 2011.
Woodward will serve as the IHSA Board President for the seventh consecutive year. He joined the Board in 2003-04, was elected Board Vice-President in 2004-05 and then became President in 2005-06.
“I am greatly appreciative of my colleagues electing me as Board President,” said Woodward. “My time on the IHSA Board has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. It is a position I take very seriously and it has afforded me the opportunity to meet wonderful student-athletes, coaches, administrators and fans all over the state. I look forward to representing my school and region during my final year on the Board. ”
All elected Board members are term-limited to a trio of three-year terms, signifying that the 2011-12 school term will be Woodward’s ninth and final year on the Board.
“Jim has been a committed leader on our Board for nearly a decade,” said IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman. “Clearly, his election as president shows the respect his peers have for him. Jim has helped guide our Board and Association through some tough decisions and significant changes over the years. His ability to take into account the big picture, and not only his own school, and do what he believes is best for the students in our state make him an exemplary Board member.”
Since the IHSA Board was established in 1903, only 12 other principals have served on the Board as long or longer than Woodward.
1. The Board approved a recommendation to establish an IHSA State Series in Competitive Dance beginning with the inaugural State Series and State Final scheduled for the winter of 2012-13.
IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman:
“I believe it is a positive any time you are able to add a sport or activity that allows more students to be involved and participate. I am very pleased and appreciative of the work that our ad hoc and advisory committee have done to pave the path toward our inaugural State Series. We believe that many of our member schools will take advantage of this opportunity and hope this decision provides further growth for dance among high schools in Illinois.”
2. The Board approved a recommendation to accept a time schedule for the IHSA Individual Wrestling State Finals based upon the format changes made at the September Board meeting that moved the start of the state final tournament to Thursday.
A link to the schedule is available here: Click here to view schedule
3. The Board approved a recommendation to fill four vacancies on the Legislative Commission:
District 1: Ken Hunter, Chicago (Prosser) (one year of unexpired term)
District 10: Michael Mandzen, Stillman Valley (one year of unexpired term)
District 13: Trent Eshleman, Paxton (P.-Buckley-Loda) (three year term)
District 16: John Rumley, Macomb (one year of unexpired term)
4. The Board approved a recommendation to approve the following college course as an alternative to IHSA Coaching Certification:
Excellence In Coaching at Dominican University
5. The Board approved a recommendation to approve an extension of the IHSA Boys Bowling State Final hosting contract at St. Clair Bowl in O’Fallon. The five-year contract runs from the current school year through the 2015-16 school.
IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman:
“St. Clair Bowl and O’Fallon High School have teamed up to provide a great state final facility and atmosphere since the tournament began in 2003. It has been an outstanding experience for everyone involved and we are excited to ensure that our boys bowling student-athletes will get to continue that experience for the next five years.”
6. The Board approved a recommendation to allow Central States Rotary to apply for inclusion on the IHSA’s approved foreign exchange program list beginning with the winter sports season.
ELIGIBILITY RULINGS & APPEALS
1. The Board modified the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Champaign (Centennial). The student was ruled eligible by the Board based on information presented at today’s hearing.
2. The Board asked for more information before ruling on a transfer student from Carlinville. The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.040 and its subsections.
3. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Urbana (H.S.). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.022 and its subsections.
4. The Board declined an appeal from Palos Heights (Shepard) to adjust its IHSA enrollment.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the October 11, 2011, agenda:
1. The Executive Director updated the Board on the IHSA/IESA Luncheon that will be held on October 18, 2011, during the Illinois Principals Conference.
2. The Executive Director updated the Board on the NFHS Section IV Meetings held September 22-23 in Indianapolis.
3. The Executive Director reviewed the by-law proposals submitted by member schools for the upcoming legislative process.
4. The Board heard a report from Assistant Executive Director Beth Sauser on the 2011 IHSA Leadership Conference, which was held on September 26 in Peoria.
5. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director and Assistant Executive Director Stacey Lambert on a recent amateurism issue affecting bowlers.
6. The Board heard a report from Assistant Executive Director Matt Troha on the IHSA concussion awareness partnership with the Chicago Bears.
7. The Board heard a report from Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson and Assistant Executive Director Craig Anderson on work done being done by an ad hoc committee of sports medicine professionals and football coaches on pre-season acclimatization.