The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met for their regularly scheduled meeting at the IHSA offices in Bloomington on Monday, January 9, 2012. There were no action items at the meeting, but a list of Discussion Items and Eligibility Rulings from the meeting are listed below.
1. The ruling on a student from New Lenox (Providence Catholic) was referred back to the Executive Director by the Board until more information can be made available. The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.043.4.
2. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Streator (Woodland). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.042 and 3.047.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the January 9, 2012, agenda:
1. The Executive Director provided the Board with a report on the 14 by-law proposals that were approved by the member schools via Amendment Ballot voting.
2. The following schools have been suspended from IHSA membership for not attending an IHSA Principals Rules Meeting for two consecutive 2 years: Brussels, Chicago (Academy of Scholastic Achievement), Chicago (ACE Tech Charter), Chicago (C. Math and Science Charter), Chicago (C. Talent Development Charter), Chicago (CICS/Larry Hawkins Charter), Chicago (Clemente), Chicago (Dunbar), Chicago (EPIC Academy Charter), Chicago (Fenger), Chicago (Hirsch), Chicago (Julian), Chicago (Kenwood), Chicago (Las Casas), Chicago (Morgan Park), Chicago (North Lawndale Charter), Chicago (Orr), Chicago (Robeson), Chicago (Schurz), Chicago (Senn), Chicago (South Shore), Chicago (St. Francis de Sales), Chicago (UCCS/Woodlawn), Chicago (Westinghouse College Prep), Elgin (Harvest Christian Academy), Grayville, Hardin (Calhoun), Norridge (Ridgewood), Orangeville, Plainfield (Christ Lutheran Academy), Rockford (Lutheran), Virginia.
All suspended schools have been invited to attend a make-up meeting at the IHSA Office on January 12, 2012. The Board penalizes the second consecutive violation by a school by suspending the school from participation in the state series for a period of one year beginning on January 13.
3. The Board heard an update from IHSA Coordinator of Special Programs Tracie Henry on the upcoming Wheelchair Basketball Tournament, which is held in conjunction with the IHSA Boys Basketball State Finals at the Peoria Civic on Friday and Saturday, March 9-10.
4. The Board heard an update from IHSA Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson on
the IHSA Performance-Enhancing Drug Testing Program. 278 student-athletes from 26 member schools have been tested thus far in the 2011-12 school year, with zero positive tests reported.
5. The Executive Director provided the Board with a report on the NFHS Winter Meeting.
6. The Board heard a report from Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson and Assistant Executive Director Ron McGraw on participation opportunities for disabled student-athletes inside and outside of the IHSA.