Thirteen of the 23 proposals submitted to change the Illinois High School Association Constitution and By-laws were placed on the annual referendum ballot by the Legislative Commission at its second meeting Monday (Nov. 22) in the IHSA Office. Thirty-two of the 35 commissioners attended Monday's meeting.
Following are the proposals on the 2010 IHSA annual referendum: Nos. 1, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, and 27. The others were rejected by the Legislative Commission after hearing feedback from member schools at the November town meetings. (The text of the proposals as amended is available in a PDF document.)
The ballot containing the proposals will be available online to IHSA member schools in the IHSA Schools Center on Tuesday, Nov. 23. The deadline to submit the online ballot is midnight, Thursday, Dec. 23. The ballots will be tabulated and the results posted on Thursday, Jan. 6. A simple majority of votes cast on each proposal will determine whether it passes.
Here is a summary of the proposals on the ballot:
- Proposal 1 requires a school renewing a coop to file the same materials with its application as a new coop, and redefines the requirements of a coop in terms of the 4-class system.
- Proposal 7 moves the deadline for an athlete to cease non-school practice and competition in a particular sport from 5 days to 7 days after the school team’s first practice or tryout.
- Proposal 8 clarifies the Independent Team Participation rule to state that in determining the number of school athletes that are on a non-school squad, only those that have eligibility to play in the next season of that sport shall be counted.
- Proposal 10 rewords the Coaching School Participation by-law to prohibit coaches, rather than students, from being involved, during the school term, in any coaching school, camp, or clinic attended by more than 2 student-athletes from his or her school.
- Proposal 12 provides that any member school charging less than the full tuition rate authorized by the Illinois School Code shall be considered a non-boundaried school for classification purposes.
- Proposal 14 limits the number of number of contests that may be played by a team in any one tournament to 5, and replaces identical restriction already in place in the basketball and volleyball by-laws.
- Proposal 17 eliminates the boys spring golf season.
- Proposal 19 clarifies the rule to allow a school to participate in 14 swimming contests and 14 diving contests.
- Proposal 20 eliminates the boys fall tennis season.
- Proposal 21 eliminates the girls spring golf season.
- Proposal 23 restricts the formation of fall softball teams to only those schools that do not offer girls volleyball.
- Proposal 24 eliminates the girls spring tennis season.
- Proposal 27 restricts practice (but not the organization) of Competitive Cheerleading squads to the period from Monday of Week 18 to Saturday of Week 37.