The IHSA Board of Directors met for their regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, April 17, 2018, where the Board acted on two action items:
1. The Board approved a recommendation to reemploy the Associate Executive Director, Assistant Executive Directors, Coordinator of Special Programs and Executive Assistant.
2. The Board approved a recommendation to authorize the Executive Director to appoint member school Athletic Directors to serve as Tellers for IHSA Nominations, Elections and Proposals during the 2018-19 school year.
APPEALS & ELIGIBILITY RULINGS
1. The Board modified the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Normal (Community). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA Policy 4 (Foreign Exchange and International Student Eligibility). The student is granted non-varsity eligibility immediately.
2. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Peoria (Richwoods). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.030 and its sub-sections.
3. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Peoria (Richwoods). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.030 and its sub-sections.
4. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on the membership status of Chicago (British School of Chicago). The school is currently an IHSA approved member seeking full IHSA membership. Per IHSA by-laws, the school cannot be considered for full membership until it gains recognition from the Illinois State Board of Education.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the April 17, 2018, agenda:
1. The Board heard an update on the 2018 NFHS Summer Meeting in Chicago, which the IHSA will co-host. The event culminates with the NFHS National High School Hall of Fame
induction ceremony on July 2, which includes Chicago (Marshall) girls’ basketball coach Dorothy Gaters
2. Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson, Assistant Executive Director Scott Johnson, Assistant Executive Director Sam Knox and Board member Dan Tully updated the Board on the work of the Ad Hoc Committee on Classification (Committee Minutes
3. The Board discussed the IHSA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee’s recommendations on Weekly Player Limitations in Football.
4. The Board discussed the potential of the NFHS adding a shot clock in boys’ and girls’ basketball. There are no NFHS rules proposals for a shot clock for the 2018-19 season.