The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met at its regularly scheduled meeting at the IHSA office in Bloomington on Monday, January 11, 2016, where the Board voted to open up state final hosting bids in three sports, including Competitive Dance, Class 1A Boys Soccer, and Class 3A/4A Baseball.
More information will be posted on the IHSA website in the coming months for venues interested in submitting hosting bids for any of these events.
The IHSA’s newest sport, Competitive Dance, debuted in 2013 and has been held at U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington each season. The Class 1A Boys Soccer State Finals have been hosted by the Normal Cornbelters at The Corn Crib in Normal the past five seasons, while Class 3A/4A Baseball has been held at Silver Cross Field in Joliet since 2006 (pictured above)
The 2015 IHSA Class 1A Boys Soccer State Finals, held in October at The Corn Crib, marked the final year of the current contract. The current Class 3A/4A Baseball contract will expire after this year’s upcoming tournament in June in Joliet, while Competitive Dance will hold its fourth edition later this month at U.S. Cellular Coliseum, as well as the 2017 tournament under the current contract.
“We have enjoyed great experiences at each of these venues, and in these communities, and are by no means looking to leave,” said IHSA Executive Director-Elect Craig Anderson. “However, our Board felt it was prudent to evaluate each of these host situations and explore any other host interest that may exist in an effort to provide our schools, student-athletes, coaches and fans with the best state final experience possible.”
No other action items.
APPEALS & HEARINGS
1. The Board heard an appeal on the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Springfield (H.S.). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.030. The Board took no action and referred the appeal back to the Executive Director after new information was provided at the hearing.
2. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling regarding a request for an accommodation from a student at Rochelle (H.S.).
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the January 11, 2016, agenda:
1. The Board met with representatives from Amboy High School and the Three Rivers Athletic Conference to discuss Amboy’s departure from the conference. The Three Rivers Athletic Conference was represented by administrators from Kewanee (H.S.), Manlius (Bureau Valley), Princeton, and Spring Valley (Hall). The Board was not in a position to take action at the current juncture, and encouraged both groups to continue to attempt to mediate the situation. Based on IHSA by-law 6.040, the Board could make a ruling if/when a breach of contract were to occur.
2. The Board discussed the future of an IHSA Boys & Girls Lacrosse State Series based on the presentation of IHSLA President Rich Martin from the December Board meeting. The Board will vote on a potential future lacrosse timeline at its meeting in February.
3. The Board recognized Glenbrook South boys’ tennis coach Larry Faulkner
, who was named the National Coach of the Year by the NFHS
4. Representatives from the accounting firm Striegel Knobloch & Company LLC presented the annual IHSA audit for the 2014-15 fiscal year to the Board of Directors. Click here for audit
5. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director-Elect on the All-State Academic Team deadline, which is February 12, 2016. Nomination forms are currently available for schools in the Schools Center.
6. The Board held a discussion on transfer regulations as it relates to Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and have directed an IHSA ad hoc committee to further discuss transfer regulations, as well as directing the Executive Director-Elect and IHSA staff to facilitate further discussions with CPS personnel.
7. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director-Elect on the Let’s Connect Conference that was held in Rosemont, Illinois on January 7-8. Staff members from state associations around the country whose responsibilities include IT, sportsmanship, student services and media relations met to discuss current practices and innovations.
8. The Executive Director-Elect provided the Board with a report of the recently verified results of this year’s Amendment Ballot voting. Each of the three proposals advanced by the Legislative Commission and voted on by the membership were approved. Click here to view amendments and voting results
9. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director-Elect on the NFHS Winter Meeting held January 3-6, 2016.