The IHSA Board of Directors met for their regularly scheduled meeting at the IHSA office in Bloomington on Monday, August 21, 2017 where the Board announced that Hoffman Estates High School will serve as the new host of the IHSA Boys Gymnastics State Finals.
Hoffman Estates will host the state finals for the first time this May, and will also be the state championship venue in 2019 and 2020. Hoffman Estates has hosted the IHSA Boys Volleyball State Finals since 1995, as well as the IHSA Class 2A & 3A Boys Soccer State Finals since 2013.
“Hoffman Estates High School is thrilled to continue our partnership with the IHSA by hosting the Boys Gymnastics State Finals,” said Hoffman Estates Athletic Director Steve Lacni. “We look forward to showcasing the best boys' gymnasts in the state, while continuing to promote the great sport of gymnastics. I want to thank the Township High School D211 Board of Education, administration, and the IHSA for supporting us in this endeavor.”
Hinsdale Central hosted the IHSA Boys Gymnastics State Finals the past four years.
“We are excited about the next chapter of the IHSA Boys Gymnastics State Finals at Hoffman Estates High School,” said IHSA Executive Director Craig Anderson. “Hoffman Estates has shown tremendous pride in their efforts to put on first-class IHSA state final events, and we know that boys’ gymnastics will be the next IHSA sports to benefit from their passion. We also want to recognize and thank Athletic Director Dan Jones and the entire Hinsdale Central community for all they have done in hosting the past four years.” ACTION ITEMS
1.The Board approved the Program for International Students at Arlington Heights (St. Viator).
2. The Board approved a recommendation to allow winners in the IHSA Music Sweepstakes contest the ability to purchase an IHSA medallion, in addition to the IHSA pin they are awarded in the contest.
3. The Board approved updates to the IHSA’s Document Retention Policy.
4. The Board approved the IHSA’s Personnel Policies for the 2017-18 school year. DISCUSSION ITEMS
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the August 21, 2017, agenda:
1. Don Sebestyen, the Chairperson for the Illinois Council of Private Schools, presented data to the Board about the IHSA’s multiplier and success formula.
2. The Board heard a report from Assistant Executive Director Sam Knox on the 2017 IHSA Officials Conference, which was attended by over 600 officials in East Peoria on July 21-22.
3. The Board heard a report from Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson on the 2017 IHSA All-School Mailing.
4. The Board heard a report on the IADA’s New Athletic Directors Workshop co-hosted by the IHSA in July.
5. The Board heard a report on member school financial aid information.
6. The Board heard a report from the staff on its staff retreat discussion, including future ideas to be presented on classifications and state series structure.
7. The Board heard a report on IHSA staff goals for the 2017-18 school year.