September IHSA Board of Directors Meeting Recap
Sunday, September 9, 2018
The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met at its regularly scheduled meeting at the IHSA office in Bloomington on Monday, September 10, 2018, where the Board approved three action items.
1. The Board approved an annual waiver of IHSA By-laws 3.021 and 3.022 for Berwyn-Cicero (Morton). IHSA rules allow schools who only offer 20 credit hours (four classes) per semester, and on a weekly basis, the ability to apply for a waiver.
2. The Board approved recommendations to approve programs for international student at Arlington Heights (St. Viator) and LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy).
3. The Board approved recommendations to modify IHSA Policy 34 (Policy and School Recommendations for Transgender Participation). The modification includes new language in School Procedure #2-A. The new language is in italics below.
2-A. Once the student is approved, participation is granted through the duration of the student’s high school career and does not need to be annually renewed, unless, the school or the student report that there has been a change in the original medical documentation submitted. At that time the school shall reach out to the IHSA in writing, citing the changes and requesting an updated ruling.
APPEALS & ELIGIBILITY RULINGS
1. The Board modified the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Peoria (Christian). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.030 and 3.040. The student is granted non-varsity eligibility immediately.
2. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Peru (St. Bede). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.047.
3. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Wilmette (Loyola). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.040 and its sub-sections.
4. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Carpentersville (Dundee-Crown). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.031.1.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the September 10, 2018, agenda:
1. The Executive Director updated the Board on the IHSA’s plans for the New Administrators Workshop and IPA Conference.
2. The Board heard an update on by-law submissions thus far. By-law submissions are due to the IHSA office by October 16, 2018 in order to be included in the 2018-19 Legislative process that begins in November.
3. The Board heard a report on schools who have filed waivers to play up a State Series classification. All waivers require a two-year commitment. The schools, sports, new class, and applicable years on each waiver are listed below:
School Sport New Class Years
East St. Louis (H.S.) Football 7A 2017-18 & 2018-19
Joliet Catholic (Academy) Wrestling 2A 2018-19 & 2019-20
Chicago (DePaul College Prep) Boys Basketball 3A 2017-18 & 2018-19
Chicago (Phillips) Football 6A 2018-19 & 2019-20
Chicago (St. Rita) Boys Basketball 4A 2018-19 & 2019-20