The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met for its regularly scheduled meeting, which included both virtual and in-person attendance, on Wednesday, October 13, 2021. During the meeting, the Board approved four actions items, including electing the Board Officers for the 2021-22 school year.
Rockridge High School Principal Katy Hasson was elected to serve as the President of the Board for the second consecutive school year. Superintendent of District 230 and official representative of Andrew High School Dr. Robert Nolting, who served as the Board Vice-President last year, was selected for that position again. Niles Notre Dame Principal Dan Tully was tabbed to serve as the Board’s Secretary.
1. The Board approved a recommendation to appoint the following individuals to the Legislative Commission:
District 1: Paul Karafiol, Principal – Chicago (Lake View) – Term Expires 2024
District 3: Robert Alberts, Principal – Chicago (Brother Rice) – Term Expires - 2023
District 12: Charles Zimmerman, Principal – Bartonville (Limestone) – Terms Expires - 2022
District 19: Justin Newell, Principal – Bethalto (Civic Memorial) – Terms Expires - 2023
District 20: Gabe Sveda, Principal – Christopher – Term Expires 2022
District 21: Parker Windhorst, Principal – Metropolis (Massac County) – Term Expires 2024
At-Large: Division 1 – Brian Kelly, Principal – Chicago (King) – Term Expires 2024
At-Large: Division 3 – Calvin Davis, Maywood (Proviso East) – Term Expires 2023
2. The Board approved an amendment to the state football contract at Northern Illinois University for the 2021 State Championship games on November 26-27. Previously, parking at the state finals ranged from $10-$20 depending on vehicle and lot location and was collected on-site when an individual parked. In keeping with NIU’s new policy for its home football games, an additional $3 parking fee will be added to each ticket and will allow for open parking in the venue lots during the state finals.
3. The Board approved International Student Programs at Mundelein (Carmel) and Rockford (Boylan).
4. The Board approved updates to the IHSA Personnel Policy.
ADVISORY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS
Minutes from all Advisory Committees can be viewed by clicking here.
1. The Board approved the consent items from the Advisory Committees in the following sports & activities: Baseball, Softball, Track & Field, Water Polo, Bass Fishing, Officials, Sports Medicine, Student Advisory.
Consent items are recommendations that received approval from the sport/activity advisory committee, the Athletic Administrators Advisory Committee and the IHSA staff. Consent items can be viewed by clicking here.
Non-consent items are recommendations from sport or activity committees that did not receive a majority vote from the Athletic Advisory Committee or IHSA staff.
No Non-consent items were approved.
APPEALS & ELIGIBILITY RULINGS
1. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Normal (West). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.040 and its sub-sections.
2. The Board modified the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Bloomington (Cornerstone Christian Academy). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.040 and its sub-sections but is now eligible immediately.
3. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Yorkville High School. The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.030.
4. The Board modified the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Elgin (Harvest Christian). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.043.3 but is now eligible immediately.
5. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Elmhurst (Timothy Christian). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.040 and its sub-sections.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action was taken or action may not be required. The following is a report of those items from the October 13, 2021, agenda:
1. The Board heard a report on the IHSA New Administrators Workshop held at the IHSA Office on September 29.
2. The Board heard a report on the NFHS Section IV Meeting, which the Executive Director attended from September 22-24 in Indianapolis.
3. The Board heard a report on IHSA staff attending the IASA Conference, as well as staff attendance at the upcoming Illinois Principals Association Conference and Illinois Association of Schools Boards Conference.
4. The Board held a discussion on the shot clock in boys and girls basketball. The NFHS has allowed each state to implement a 35-second shot clock if they wish to beginning with the 2022-23 season.
5. The Board heard a report on the new by-laws and changes to existing by-laws that have been submitted by member schools for the upcoming legislative process beginning in November.
6. The Board heard a report on potential state final venues for the inaugural IHSA esports State Finals, which are scheduled to be conducted in April.
7. The Board discussed a letter from a group of Athletic Directors and Principals seeking for an ad hoc committee formation to review the IHSA classification process.
8. The Board heard the schedule of the upcoming IADA Division Meetings, which will be attended by IHSA staff.