In early December 2014, Mount Pulaski High School posthumously named its gym after former boys basketball coach Ed Butkovich.
Former players, friends and family attended the ceremony, which unveiled a sign underneath the scoreboard. His widow, Pat, also received a plaque to commemorate the event.
Butkovich, who passed in 2002, is a legendary high school basketball figure in Illinois. He led Canton High School to the Sweet 16 as a player in 1953 and coached Mt. Pulaski to the state finals three times during his 32-year tenure, including two title games. Butkovich led the Hilltoppers to their lone boy’s basketball state title in 1976 and then finished fourth a year later in 1977. Mt. Pulaski returned to the state title game behind Butkovich in 1984, where they came up short to place second. Butkovich finished his career with a record of 558-312.
Butkovich is a member of the Illinois High School Basketball Coaches Association, and during the 2006-07 season, was named as one of the 100 Legends of March Madness by the IHSA as a part of the festivities that surrounded the 100-year anniversary of the state tournament.
Below are some photos from the ceremony, courtesy of Mount Pulaski High School: