The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) has released its list of honorees for the 2010 NFHS Citations, which includes Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Assistant Executive Director Sue Hinrichsen among the award winners.
The NHFS Citations annually honor 12 individuals from across the country for their contributions to the NFHS, state high school associations, athletic director and coaching professions, the officiating avocation and fine arts programs. The NFHS Citation is regarded as one of the most highly regarded achievements in high school activities.
“It’s a pretty neat honor when you think of all the worthy candidates out there,” said Hinrichsen. “There are so many people who are deserving of this recognition all throughout the state, and frankly, here within our office at the IHSA. It is humbling when you think about it in that regard and I accept it on behalf of all of those people.”
The 2010 NFHS Citation recipients will receive their awards July 9 at the 91st NFHS Summer Meeting in San Diego, California.
“Sue’s NFHS Citation is a fitting tribute to a brilliant career, said IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman. “In my 19 years at the IHSA, the only other staff member to receive this award was Jim Flynn. This is truly a significant honor and an award that is reserved for the best of the best.”
Hinrichsen announced in August that she will retire at the conclusion of the 2009-10 school term after 18 years on the IHSA staff. Hinrichsen joined the IHSA staff after 15 years as a high school teacher and coach in Iowa and Illinois. She is currently the administrator for boys and girls volleyball, boys and girls golf, boys and girls bowling and girls badminton. In addition, she handles equity issues at the IHSA, is in charge of state final merchandise and is the staff's Title IX liaison. Hinrichsen has also administered softball, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls gymnastics, scholastic bowl, the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee and the All-State Academic Team during her tenure at the IHSA. She served the NFHS in a number of capacities during her career, including seats on the NFHS Equity Committee and the NFHS Volleyball and Softball Rules Committees.
“All the work by the state associations, the high schools, the officials and the NFHS represents what is good in high school sports and activities,” added Hinrichsen. “It is a great honor to be a part of it. They make what is excellent belong to all of us.”
A complete list of 2010 NFHS Citation recipients is located below:
- Mike Savage, Section 1, Executive Director of the Connecticut Association of Schools and the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CAS-CIAC)
- John Dickerson, Section 2, former assistant commissioner of the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA)
- Dru Nix, Section 3, associate commissioner of the South Carolina High School League (SCHSL)
- Susan Hinrichsen, Section 4, assistant executive director of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA)
- Dave Carlsrud, Section 5, assistant to the executive secretary of the North Dakota High School Activities Association (NDHSAA)
- Bert Borgmann, Section 6, assistant commissioner of the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA)
- Keith Amemiya, Section 7, executive director of the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA)
- Glen Legler, Section 8, activities coordinator at Natrona County High School in Casper
- Guy Blair, NFHS Music Recipient, retired director of bands at Pella (Iowa) Community High School
- John Fogarty, NFHS Speech, Debate and Theatre Association Recipient, speech teacher at Cannon Falls (Minnesota) High School
- Houston Young, Officials Recipient, Alabama, Tack & Field
- Ed Thomas, Coaches Recipient, Iowa, Football