The 2010-11 IHSA Sportsperson of the Year Award nomination form is available for eligible students to complete. The IHSA will recognize seven (7) individuals from across the state for their outstanding sportsmanship during interscholastic competition.
The 2009-10 winners were:
- Elizabeth Faber representing Division 1 from Chicago St. Ignatius High School;
- Jeffrey Brown representing Division 2 from Evanston Township High School.;
- Colin Webb representing Division 3 from Wilmington High School;
- Katie Janssen representing Division 4 from Minonk Fieldcrest High School;
- Erin McGinnis representing Division 5 from Normal Community West High School;
- Thomas Trau representing Division 6 from East Peoria High School; and
- Bret Thixton At-Large from Riverton High School
How will the program work?
Any IHSA member school whose conference has registered for the Do What's Right! Program or any independent school, who has registered, may nominate one (1) student, male or female, to be considered for this award.
Who will receive the Award?
One student from each of the seven (7) Board Divisions will receive this award. If any of the seven (7) Board Divisions do not have nominees, At-large awards will be presented.
Criteria for Nominees?
- Student must be a senior at an IHSA member school with a Sportsmanship Program recognized by the IHSA.
- Student shall not have EVER been ejected from a high school contest.
- Student must have a minimum of a 2.5/4.0 Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Student must have participated in a minimum of two (2) IHSA sponsored sports or activities in his/her senior year.
- Student must have demonstrated good sportsmanship throughout his/her high school career.
All nomination forms must be completed and received in the IHSA office on or before May 27, 2011. Download the Sportsperson of the Year nomination form here. The nominations will be evaluated by the Sportsmanship Advisory Committee. The committee will evaluate each nomination based on the following information:
- Official Transcript
- Principal's signature
- Student's IHSA activity participation record
- An essay submitted by the nominee
- Two letters of recommendation submitted by school administrators, teachers, coaches or officials
- Additional involvement in school and community activities
The winners will be announced during the Summer and presented with a plaque and $500 in October at the IPA conference lunch. If you have any questions, please contact the IHSA office.