Boys Basketball Chronology

1891 Basketball invented at Springfield, Mass., by James Naismith.
1893 Chicago (Morgan Park Academy) becomes first Illinois secondary school to organize a boys basketball team.
1900 Chicago (Englewood) defeats Elgin (H.S.) in the first known boys basketball game between Illinois high schools.
1904 Team from Chicago (North Division) plays in exhibition tournament of high school basketball teams at St. Louis Olympics.
1908 Lewis Omer, athletic director of Oak Park (O.P.-River Forest), gains IHSAA approval to organize first state high school basketball tournament, an invitational meet held at Oak Park YMCA; Peoria (H.S.) defeats Rock Island (H.S.) in title game.
1909 IHSAA assumes administration of tournament and opens it to all member schools; state final tournament moved to Bloomington YMCA; six district tournament champions and six runners-up advance to state final.
1910 State final field reduced to six teams as district champions only allowed to advance.
1911 State final tournament moved to Bradley Gym in Peoria.
1912 State final tournament moved to Decatur YMCA.
1913 State final tournament returned to Bradley Gym.
1914 State final tournament returned to Decatur YMCA; state final field expanded to eight teams.
1915 State final tournament moved to Millikin Gym in Decatur.
1916 State final field expanded to 11 teams.
1917 State final field expanded to 12 teams.
1918 State final tournament moved to Springfield H.S.; state final field expanded to 13 teams.
1919 After eleven years at various sites, state final tournament moved to campus of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; games played at Men's Gym Annex (now known as Kenney Gym).
1920 State final field expanded to 16 teams.
1921 Cumbersome field of 21 district tournament winners qualifies for state finals; at end of school year, Charles Whitten hired as IHSAA's first executive secretary and given duty of reorganizing tournament.
1922 Sectional tournament stage added between district and state final; state final field reduced to four teams.
1925 Elgin (H.S.) becomes first school to win back-to-back state titles.
1926 State final tournament moved to Huff Gym.
1927 State final field expanded to eight teams; Cicero (Morton) wins national championship tournament at University of Chicago (after being eliminated in sectional during state tournament).
1928 Chicago Public League teams enter state tournament for first time.
1933 State final field expanded to sixteen teams, known as "Sweet Sixteen."
1936 Regional tournament stage added between district and sectional; lowest-rated teams in each area required to play in district tournament; district and regional runners-up allowed to advance to next stage.
1937 Chicago Public League champion given automatic berth in the state final tournament.
1938 First tournament played under new rule eliminating center jump after each field goal; district tournament definition changed so that smallest schools in each area, rather than the lowest-rated schools, required to play in district tournament.
1939 IHSAA assistant executive secretary H.V. Porter coins the term "March Madness" to describe state basketball tournament.
1940 IHSAA (Illinois High School Athletic Association) becomes IHSA (Illinois High School Association).
1941 In one-year experiment, state final field reduced to four teams; first-round and quarterfinal games held at four sites; private schools allowed to join IHSA and enter tournaments; Chicago Public League refuses to send champion to state final in dispute over new IHSA constitution.
1942 Segregated schools of southern Illinois, never allowed to participate in the state tournament, invited to stage conference championship game prior to the first quarterfinal game at Huff Gym.
1943 District and regional runners-up no longer allowed to advance to next stage.
1944 Taylorville becomes first known undefeated state champion.
1946 Segregated schools of southern Illinois allowed to compete in state tournament; special conference championship game discontinued.
1949 State final carnival held for first time.
1952 Hebron becomes only district (small) school to win state championship; first live television coverage of state final (semifinals and title game).
1956 State final field reduced to eight teams, known as "Elite Eight"; first-round games of state final played at eight super-sectional sites.
1958 Chicago (Marshall) becomes first Chicago school to win state basketball title.
1963 State final tournament moved to Assembly Hall.
1972 Tournament split into Class A (small schools), won by Lawrenceville, and AA (large schools), won by Dolton (Thornridge); district tournament stage eliminated; two state finals held on consecutive weekends at Assembly Hall; state final carnival discontinued.
1975 Chicago Catholic League teams enter state tournament for first time.
1988 First tournament played under new rule allowing three-point field goal.
1989 In only triple-overtime championship game, East St. Louis (Lincoln) becomes first school to win three consecutive state titles.
1991 Class AA teams seeded in sectional complexes instead of at the regional stage; regional games played on court of higher seed.
1992 "Happening" three-point and slam-dunk contests held for first time; state final reunions held for first time.
1996 After 77 years at the University of Illinois, state final tournament moved to Peoria Civic Center; March Madness Experience held for first time; reunions discontinued.
1997 Peoria (Manual) becomes first school to win four consecutive state championships.
2003 Chicago Public League champion no longer given automatic berth in Class AA state finals; Public League teams enter tournament at regional level in either Class A or Class AA; Class AA teams seeded in modified sectional complex with fixed regional sites.
2004 Class A teams seeded in modified sectional complex with fixed regional sites, divided into two sub-sectionals.
2005 Some Class AA sectionals seeded in two sub-sectionals.