March 2016 Board Meeting Recap
March 22, 2016
The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors met for their regularly scheduled March meeting on Saturday, March 19, 2016, at the Marriott Pere Marquette in Peoria.
The Board acted on two action items during the regularly scheduled meeting:
1. The Board approved its meeting dates for the 2016-17 school term:
Monday, August 22, 2016
Monday, September 12, 2016
Wednesday, October 12, 2016
Monday, December 12, 2016
Monday, January 9, 2017
Monday, February 13, 2017
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
Monday, June 12, 2017
2. The Board approved changes to Board Policy 14. Guidelines for Adding and Deleting State Series Programs. Policy 14 now reads:
14. Guidelines for Adding and Deleting State Series Programs
1. The Board will entertain proposals to add a new state series when ten percent of the member schools engage in regularly scheduled competition in the sport or activity.
2. When the minimum required participation level is demonstrated and proposals to add a new state series are considered, the Board shall (a) consider the growth potential of the sport or activity, (b) consider the equity criteria included In the classification policy in determining whether to add the proposed new series, and (c) consider factors such as budgetary implications and official availability.
3. The Board will entertain recommendations from staff to consider deletion of an existing state series when less than ten percent of the member schools participate in the series and/or engage in regularly scheduled competition in the sport or activity.
4. Annually, each state series that has less than ten percent of the member schools participating in the state series and/or engage in regularly scheduled competition in the sport or activity will be reviewed by the Board. The Board will then vote to either maintain each state series that has less than 10 percent participation or to remove the state series in a future year as determined by the board.
APPEALS & HEARINGS
No appeals or hearings
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the March 19, 2016, agenda:
1. The Board heard a report from Board members Peter Groom (Fenwick HS) and Robert Nolting (Andrew HS) on the first meeting of the ad hoc committee they are chairing that is reviewing IHSA policies related to the recruiting, open gym and transfer rules.
The ad hoc committee is made up of David Ribbens, Athletic Director at Chicago (University); Vinay Mullick, Athletic Director at Perspectives Charter Network; Mickey Pruitt, CPS Sports Administration; Jim Quaid, Principal at Chicago (DePaul Prep); Marsha Potthoff, Principal at McHenry; Jerry Dobbs, Athletic Director at Palatine; Tony Tinerella, Principal at Aurora (Marmion); Matt Bowser, Athletic Director at Glenbard North; Jim Prunty, Athletic Director at Lockport; Doug Noyes, Athletic Director at Elmwood Park; Kenton Bergman, Principal at Chillicothe (I.V.C.); Paul Heitkamp, Athletic Director at Rockford (Boylan); Denise Aughenbaugh, Principal at Mendota; David Woltman, Athletic Director at Effingham (H.S.); Kevin Palmer, Athletic Director at Effingham (St. Anthony); Wendy Smith, Athletic Director at Normal (University); Roy Van Meter, Principal at Galesburg; Bill Connell, Athletic Director at Quincy (Notre Dame); Gayle McRoberts, Principal at Pana; Henry Johnson, Athletic Director at Glen Carbon (Father McGivney); David Snider, Principal at Collinsville; Brett Diehl, Athletic Director at Carterville.