Here are additional items from the June 13 Board of Directors Meeting.
- The Board approved a recommendation to approve new, edited and deleted IHSA Handbook Illustrations for the 2011-12 school year based upon the new by-laws that were approved in January.
- The IHSA Board approved a recommendation to approve a Transgender Participation Policy. Click the link below to view the Policy: IHSA Transgender Participation Policy
- The Board approved a recommendation to approve the Coaching Certification Program at Rock Valley College.
ADVISORY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS
The Board approved select items from the Advisory Committee Recommendations. A few select Advisory Committee Recommendations of interest are posted below.
- During postseason tiebreak kicks, the goalkeeper will start with both feet on the line and only move laterally when the whistle sounds.
Rationale: This is the procedure used during the regular-season and by most surrounding states.
- If the third-place game in the state finals is tied at the end of regulation, the game will be decided immediately by penalty kicks.
Rationale: This will help to keep the championship game on schedule and help media meet deadlines.
- Recipients of a hard red card will have the following consequences. 1st hard red = 1 game suspension (current practice); 2nd hard red card = 2 game suspension for recipient; 3rd hard red card = 3 game suspension for recipient etc. The hard red card(s) count accumulated during the regular will continue through the state series.
Rationale: There has been a rise in hard red cards recently and a harsher punishment will help cut down on dangerous play.
- The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Park Ridge (Maine South). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.031.2.
- The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Burlington (Central). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-law 3.030.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the June 13, 2011, agenda:
- The Executive Director updated the Board on the 2011 IHSA Distinguished Service Award Winners. The award winners below were honored at a banquet on June 13:
- The Board discussed the penalty for student-athletes who fail to appear for IHSA Performance-Enhancing Drug Testing conducted at high schools and will revisit the issue at a future meeting.