The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) Board of Directors reelected Wauconda High School
Principal Dan Klett as the Board President at its regularly scheduled meeting at the IHSA office in Bloomington on Wednesday, October 16, 2013.
In addition, the Board also voted East Peoria Principal Chuck Nagel as the Vice-President and reelected Chicago (Gordon Tech) Principal Dr. Jim Quaid as the Secretary.
“I am appreciative of the opportunity to continue serving as the President of the IHSA Board of Directors,” said Klett. “I have the pleasure of working with a group of dedicated professionals on the Board and in the IHSA office. I am proud to represent this organization and humbled by the support of my colleagues on the Board.”
Klett is the 34th individual to serve as the Association’s Board President since its formation in 1903.
The meeting was also the first for newly elected Board members John Stimler, principal of Chicago (Mt. Carmel) representing Division 1, and Robert Nolting, principal of Tinley Park (Andrew) representing Division 3.
“We are very lucky to have a Board of Directors made up of individuals that are committed to the best interests of our member schools and students,” said IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman. “Our Board members volunteer their time and resources to serve our schools, where they deal with difficult and diverse issues. We feel privileged to work alongside them.”
1. The Board approved a recommendation to appoint the following individuals to fill the vacancies on the Legislative Commission:
District 5: Tim Carlson, Principal, Sycamore
District 18: Darren Hartry, Principal, Petersburg (PORTA)
2. The Board approved a recommendation to offer a seasonal license to vendors.
ADVISORY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS
Minutes from all Advisory Committees can be viewed by clicking here
1. The Board approved the consent items from the Advisory Committees in the following sports & activities: Badminton, Baseball, Bass Fishing, News Media, Softball, Track & Field, Water Polo and Officials.
Consent items are recommendations that received approval from the sport/activity advisory committee, the Athletic Administrators Advisory Committee and the IHSA staff. Consent items can be viewed by clicking here
Some items of note include:
Boys & Girls Track & Field
1. Qualifying standards for the 2014 State Series.
Non-consent items that were approved by the Board included:
Boys & Girls Water Polo
1. If a team has a ten-goal advantage at halftime or anytime in the second half, the clock will run continuously if mutually agreed upon by both head coaches.
APPEALS & ELIGIBILITY RULINGS
1. The Board modified the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Olympia Fields (Rich Central). The student was originally ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-laws 3.030 and 3.040. The student is granted immediate eligibility.
2. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Chicago (Marist). The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-laws 3.043.3.
3. The Board sustained the Executive Director’s ruling on a student from Mooseheart. The student was ruled ineligible for non-compliance with IHSA By-laws 3.034.3 and 3.043.3.
At each meeting of the Board of Directors, there are certain items the Board discusses, but upon which no action is taken. The following is a report of those items from the October 16, 2013, agenda:
1. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director on the NFHS Board Meeting he attended on October 14-15.
2. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director on the NFHS Section IV Meeting that was held in Chicago on September 19-20.
3. The Board heard a report from Board member Jim Quaid, Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson and Assistant Executive Director Craig Anderson on the Success Factor Ad-Hoc Committee meetings held on September 10, and October 8, 2013.
4. The Board heard a report from Assistant Executive Director Beth Sauser on the IHSA Student Leadership Conference held at the Peoria Civic Center on September 30.
5. The Board heard a report from Assistant Executive Director Matt Troha on the new original content webpage within the IHSA website, IHSAState (www.ihsa.org/ihsastate
6. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director on the by-law proposals submitted by the membership for the upcoming legislative process.
7. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director on the New Administrators Workshop held at the IHSA office on October 15.
8. The Board heard a report from Associate Executive Director Kurt Gibson on the Disabled Athletes Advisory Committee held on September 25.
9. The Board heard a report from the Executive Director on the upcoming IADA Division Meeting Schedule. The IHSA will be represented at all of the meetings, which will be held:
Division 1- Oct 24-10:00 a.m.- St. Ignatius High School
Division 2- Oct 24-9:00 a.m.- Forest View Educational Center, Arlington Heights
Division 3- Oct 24-1:00 p.m.- Lisle High School
Division 4- Oct 29-9:00 a.m.- Sterling High School
Division 5- Oct 30-9:00 a.m.- BSN Sports, Rantoul
Division 6- Oct 22-1:00 p.m.- Jacksonville High School
Division 7- Oct 21-9:00 a.m.- Governors Run, Carlyle